07 June, 2010

Day 5: Haiti

Our day started early as usual. It is so amazing how easy it is to wake up when I'm here, at home I have to set multiple alarms before I get up.
So, after everyone got up, ate and got ready for the day we headed off to yet another village to set up. I offered to help the medical team since I had been there through most of the sorting process yesterday and knew which bags everything was in. Even though I might not know what everything was, it was still easier to have someone that helped organize and at least knew what the boxes and all looked like. It was a bit rough at first but then we got a system going to things went pretty well for a while.
Then a few hours in I started getting a migraine, so I moved to a corner and tried to cool down. Charlie gave me half of a perkaset(sp?) to try and get rid of it, but it didn't help. Sandy had a small hand-held fan that she let me use and gave me a wet paper towel to put on my neck. That did help a bit, mainly the wind from the fan. The pain wasn't easing though so Justin told me to use one of the hydration packs we had in the bags of meds(worse than drinking salt water.) Still didn't help.
So a group of people were going back to camp by that point and I left with them, hoping I could take a nap or something when I got back to camp. The perkaset was kind of making me tired but not nearly enough that I could fall asleep, plus the heat from it being the middle of the day didn't help too much. I just rested in my tent for a while trying to stay cool with the fan we had in there. Once I got up and went back out to everyone they were checking on me seeing if they could do anything. Then Maiko gave me a massage and got some ice to put on my neck and back, that was probably the best relief I got the whole day.
It was so humbling to be taken care so well by everyone. To see how much they care, even for someone they only knew for a few days at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment